Poem by Deliska Pollara

Poem by Deliska Pollara

On October 13, 2023, Deliska, John-Tyler and Billie-Jo worked together to kayak a wayward ocean sunfish out of Wellfleet's inner harbor. Here are thoughts and a poem from Deliska who took the lead on this rescue

"I had been on all kinds of kayaking adventures before but never quite like this. I was supposed to guide a fish into deeper waters, so it wouldn’t suffocate. And I was and suddenly I found myself within 2 ft of one. Gliding through the water side by side with largest boniest fish in the ocean the Mola mola. This is inspired by that interaction"


Chasing the Sun with the Mola mola  


Gentle strokes left right left right

Gentle breaths in out in out 

Together we glide through the water

The sun illuminating our path

We know where we are going 

We are chasing the sun together 

We are chasing that bone depth warmth

The molas dorsal fin cuts through the water up down up down 

The mola moves a little side to side

I watch as it’s back covered in white catches the sunlight 

Mesmerized I get a little too close

I push out and away a breadth

I give the fish a little more space to move 

This becomes our dance in out 

Up down

Right left 

As we chase the sun 

the warmth 

Cutting through the waves 

Charting our own course together

A moment of time imprinted on the water 

In the light of the sun

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Electric Torpedo Ray of New England

Ocean sunfish stranding at Linnell Landing - October 9, 2010

September 21, 2013 - Successful Beach Cleanup at Scusset Beach State Reservation