Saying Goodbye to our good friend Dr. John Jahoda


Earlier this month, NECWA was contacted about some very sad news. Our good friend, colleague and biggest supporter, Dr. John Jahoda, died from a long battle with a rare form of liver cancer. You can click HERE to read John's obituary. 



This series of photos are of John when he joined me and Dani on Aucoot Beach in Marion, MA in July of 2017. I had asked John if he would identify the various plants on Aucoot Beach for me in preparation of a vegetation study that I was putting together for the nonprofit. Dani and I had so much fun listening and learning from John that day and still remember how amazed we were with John's ability to know all the names and life histories of each of the plants we found. John was a trained zoologist but knew all about plants, environments and just about everything and anything. He was brilliant but he never made a show of all that he knew. He was a gracious, wonderful and supportive teacher and mentor with me and with all of his students, regardless of who you were, what you knew or what your ambitions were in life. 

This series of photos are of John when he joined me and Dani on Aucoot Beach in Marion, MA in July of 2017. I had asked John if he would identify the various plants on Aucoot Beach for me in preparation of a vegetation study that I was putting together for the nonprofit. Dani and I had so much fun listening and learning from John that day and still remember how amazed we were with John's ability to know all the names and life histories of each of the plants we found. John was a trained zoologist but knew all about plants, environments and just about everything and anything. He was brilliant but he never made a show of all that he knew. He was a gracious, wonderful and supportive teacher and mentor with me and with all of his students, regardless of who you were, what you knew or what your ambitions were in life.


John and I worked closely together at Bridgewater State University (BSU) since 2000. He was one of the few professors who would take on someone like me (a woman, a part-time professor, a professor with only a Masters degree) and collaborate with me and our BSU students on various projects, including those on whales, seals, sea turtles, ocean sunfish and basking sharks. He was the marine connection for students at BSU and he provided real-life learning opportunities, both in and out of the classroom, for his students in his classes. He treated me and others with respect and kindness and focused on a person's potential, not their shortcomings. John collaborated with me and other NECWA staff members and interns on many projects, helping us achieve and often exceed our research and educational outreach goals. No matter what projects we worked on together, he provided the positive can-do attitude as well as the support and know-how that was needed. What an incredible experience for me, my staff and those interns, students and volunteers who had the good fortune of taking a class with John or participating in research under his direction whether through BSU or NECWA.

                               

My heart is aching even though I know that John lived a long, prosperous, and adventurous life. He leaves behind a loving and supportive family and there is no doubt that he lived life to the fullest. Still, I miss him so much and the times spent together. After John retired from BSU, I would often join him for long walks in the woods followed by delicious food at one of our favorite restaurants. What fun we had chit-chatting over mounds of pasta, bowls of steamers and yummy rich desserts. I loved our time together for John was always kind, thoughtful, brilliant, fun, supportive, and willing to put-up with my crazy questions, ideas and projects.
John was my dear and very close friend and I will miss him very much. My world just became a little darker but his memory shines bright in my heart. In loving memory, Krill

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Electric Torpedo Ray of New England

Ocean sunfish stranding at Linnell Landing - October 9, 2010

September 21, 2013 - Successful Beach Cleanup at Scusset Beach State Reservation