Ocean Exploration Cruise - NECWA Fall Fundraiser
Sunday, September 30, 2018
7 am to 1 pm
Privateer IV, 7 Seas Whale Watch
Marine Forecast Links:
- NECWA News Blog Updates. Check the NECWA News blog for any changes or updates to our trip. Right now, seas are looking a bit rough offshore so take your motion sickness pills in advance. Eat a light breakfast and stay away from greasy foods. We will have Saltines and Ginger Ale onboard if you need it.
- Guest Naturalists for tomorrow. We are very excited about this Ocean Exploration Cruise as we will have amazing guest naturalists onboard the boat and on the microphone. Guest naturalists will include Wayne Petersen, Jim Sweeney, Thomas Robben and Adrian Jordaan.
- Captain Jay onboard. Tomorrow our captain will be Capt. Jay Frontierro who is an amazing naturalist/biologist, captain and birder. So we are in good hands and will relay on his advice as to where the best places will be to head offshore to view whales and seabirds and other marine wildlife.
- NECWA naturalists onboard and on the microphone will include Krill Carson, Courtney Callahan, Tammy Silva, Leah Horeanopoulos and Dani Marston. We will also have a number of NECWA interns onboard so make sure to chat with them about the work that they did this summer or are currently involved with.
- Dress for the weather. Best to dress in layers and expect it to be 10 - to 15 degrees cooler offshore than on land. Your are welcome to bring anything you would like onboard, but please keep your gear to a minimum so there will be plenty of room for everyone inside the cabin.
- Bring food and don't forget about the galley. You can bring food and drinks onboard, but no alcohol. You can purchase food and alcoholic and non-alcoholic refreshments from the galley so bring extra cash.
- Check in time is 6:30 am - 7:00 am. Be down at the 7 Seas dock by 6:30 am ready to board. We hope to start boarding by 6:30 am tomorrow morning. We will leave the dock at 7 am sharp so please don't be late. If you need to contact me, use my cell at 508-369-8303.
- Free Nature Raffle. As we move through the harbor on our way offshore, we will conduct our Free Nature Raffle. If you would like to donate a new or gently used item to the raffle table, please provide to Leah once you get onboard. She will be leading the raffle event and will have a table set-up in the back of the cabin with all the free nature-themed items. Thank you in advance!
- Plankton Tow, Chumming for Seabirds and Underwater Camera Activities. If it makes sense given the conditions offshore, we will conduct a plankton tow (with onboard observation) and Tom Robben is bringing some underwater cameras. We will also chum for seabirds if aggregations of seabirds are offshore.
- NECWA Merchandise. NECWA will bring a limited number of sweatshirts, t-shirts, canvas bags, and windbreakers onboard for sale. Please bring cash if you would like to purchase something. If you see something in our online shop and would like me to bring it for you tomorrow (to save shipping costs), just let me know.